The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato
Financial Services Division
Home Waikato Home > Financial Services Division > Insurance Staff + Student Login

Travel Insurance

Business Travel

Many University staff travel overseas on University business to attend meetings, conferences, marketing events, carry out research etc. Before travelling the University requires staff to register online for comprehensive insurance cover through Allianz Global Assistance (AGA). The registration tool is below. Students travelling overseas as part of their study, or contractors travelling overseas on University business are also eligible to apply for this cover, but will require prior approval from the department involved.

If you are travelling to a destination that may be high risk, please refer to the University travel policy (, and email or contact Karen Harper, ext 8919 or Petrus Rijkers, ext 4182, to discuss the options. There may be an additional premium charged, or if the risk is considered too high, cover may be refused.

If you have concerns about your health, work through the Pre-existing Medical Conditions Questionaire, if you answered Yes to any of questions 2-7, send the completed form through to  and we will contact the brokers on your behalf for a quote. If you answered Yes to question1 only, you can proceed with registration using the online tool.

Personal Travel

Allianz have extended the cover offered to the University of Waikato to include staff leisure travel, and close family members, whether or not they are travelling with the staff member. This cover will usually cost $5 per person per day, and can be applied for using the online registration tool below. The leisure travel insurance benefits are superior to many offered in the market, but it is always a good idea to compare alternatives. If you require AGA business travel cover but wish to obtain leisure cover through an alternative company, please contact Karen Harper ext 8919 or Petrus Rijkers and we will talk you though the process.

Study Leave Travel

The University does not cover the travel insurance premium for staff on study leave, and there is no requirement that staff use the University’s travel insurance provider. However the daily rates are favourable, being lower than the leisure travel insurance premium. If you wish to use the Allianz cover for study leave, please email or contact Karen Harper, ext 8919 or Petrus Rijkers, ext 4182, to discuss payment or re-charge options.


For further advice, on any matters relating to travel insurance, please contact Petrus Rijkers in FSD, extension 4182, or Karen Harper extension 8919 or email




This page has been reformatted for printing.